Pages

Monday, December 21, 2009

Cake Balls

A few years ago I discovered this lovely treat and I love to make these every year over the holidays. I was asked to make some treats for our school so that the children had something to munch on after their Christmas concert. This was my first time using lollipop sticks, I love it! And it's so easy to do.

The best part of this recipe is that you can use whatever you want to mix it with. Most recipes will tell you to use your favorite frosting, but I find frosting too sweet usually so I opted to make mine with nutriwhip. I basically used the same ingredients that you would for a Skor Bar Cake, soooooooooooooo yummy.

Cake Balls

1 10x13 chocolate cake, baked and crumbled
1/2 jar butterscotch ice-cream topping
1/2 box nutriwhip, whipped
3 skor bars, crushed
1 cup chopped pecans

Lightly mix the cake and pecans in a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and stir just until mixed. Shape into balls. If you want to use lollipop sticks you would now insert them into the balls. At this point I place all the cake balls onto a lined baking pan and freeze them until firm.

Once frozen dip them into melted dipping chocolate. These are best served cold.

So this is my version of cake balls but if you google them you will find tons of different methods, again most using a frosting of some sort. Experiment and see which ones you like best. e.g. Lemon cake with frosting, Red velvet cake with frosting, carrot cake...

Enjoy!
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment