Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Oatmeal Pancakes (Clean Eating)

At the beginning of the year I bought myself a couple of clean eating books, with every intention of trying to cut out the bad foods most of North America has in their cupboards. While I know we are not the worst eaters out there, I know we can improve. I found this recipe online that's chalk full of clean eating recipes (kind of ironic that I would search online when I spent the money for the actual cookbooks, lol) and it is so filling, seriously! I had two pancakes with one cup of strawberries and I could barely finish the last few bites. Next time I'll have one pancake with maybe a little more fruit. Either way, it's filling and good for you.

Oatmeal Pancakes

1 1/2 cups dry oatmeal (I used instant)
1 1/4 cups milk
1 lg egg
1 Tbsp oil
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla

Mix the milk and rolled oats together and let this soak for 5 minutes. Add the oil and egg, and vanilla and mix well. Stir in the dry ingredients. I found that when I made this as stated, the dough was a little too stiff for pancake batter. So I added more milk until I had a normal pancake batter, all together I used about 1 3/4 - 2 cups of milk. Cook on a pancake griddle and serve with fruit. If you want to keep in line with the Clean Eating plan you would eat this with pure maple syrup or you could use regular pancake syrup.

This makes 9 pancakes at 136 calories each. So my breakfast of 2 pancakes, 1 cup of strawberries and maple syrup was just over 400 calories! And if left me feeling full right up until lunch.

Enjoy!
Tina

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit that I was a little concerned with the look of these as I was making them. I was worried that my children would look at them and so 'no thanks'. Well.....they LOVED them. They all ate them before their fruit salads!!!!
    Thank you so much for giving us a cleaner alternative to our favourite morning meal!!!
    Jenn.

    ReplyDelete