Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Schaubel Zup (Green Bean Soup)

This summer is my first attempt at gardening, and what fun it's been! It's immensely satisfying to be able to go to your backyard and pick fresh vegetables to use for your dinner, so when I saw that my green beans were ready for picking I knew I wanted to make this soup for dinner. But my Internet was down and I couldn't find the recipe that I had saved, so after getting a few recipes, some from family and some from Church cookbooks I was ready. I'll give you the rough measurements of what I used, but you can change it according to how thick you like your soup.

Schaubel Zup

1/2 Link Mennonite Sausage (about 12"), cut into bite size pieces
4-6 cups fresh green beans

Let this cook together in a large pot with about 4L of water until the green beans are tender, add:

2 medium carrots, sliced
5 medium potatoes, cubed
1 medium onion, diced
handful of fresh parsley (or 1 tbsp dried)
handful of fresh savoury (I didn't have any so I added a little dill instead but I have heard you can add a tiny sprinkle of thyme)
1 tbsp Chicken bouillon
Salt to taste

Let this simmer until the vegetables are done, just before serving add about 1/2- 1cup cream, I use light cream. At this point you could also add a 1/4 cup butter and let it melt in the soup, but this is optional. For a treat serve this with warm biscuits!

*These were just my rough measurements, you might need to add more or less of the vegetables. I think next time I make it I'll add more vegetables to get it a little thicker.

Enjoy!
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment