Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Non Traditional Somma Borscht

I love having a good soup during the week for lunch. You get a low calorie but good meal to hold you over until dinner. I try to make soup at least once a weak that me and the kids eat for 2-3 days for lunch, it sure beats trying to come up with a meal everyday.

Most mennonites I know make somma borscht, but most mennonites make it completely different from one person to the next, lol. Some would say that my recipe isn't even a Somma Borscht but either way, I like it. My recipe is simple, very fast, and not the traditional kind, we really like the taste. This recipe asks for Mennonite sausage but if you can't find it in the stores you could use farmer sausage or amish sausage. Any traditonal pork sausage would do. You could also use a ham hock and simmer this for a few hours to get your stock. I prefer the sausage because of time.


Somma Borscht
12" link Mennonite sausage cut into bite size pieces
7-8 cups water
Boil this together for 15-20 minutes

Add:
8 medium potatoes ( I use russet)
1 medium onion
1 1/2 tbsp dried parsley flakes
1 1/2 tbsp dried dill
2 tsp salt

Gently boil this until the potatoes are tender. I prefer to slightly over cook my potatoes so that the soup becomes a little thick. To finish the soup add about 1/2 cup cream and 1/2 cup milk. Enjoy!

I used to use only cream but I try to save on calories where possible so this is something you could adjust to taste. This soup can be adjusted in many ways according to how you prefer your soup. Add more potatoes, or less, add more parsely and dill, or less... you get the picture.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. Sounds perfect, like my Mom taught me. I'm from Southern Ontario Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother would add sorrel that she grew in the garden to this soup …

    ReplyDelete