Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Applesauce Nut Bread


I love to look at other blogs and see all the yummy things I want to create. I found this recipe on Baking Bites. It lookes so scrumptious I knew I had to try it. I actually had all the ingredients on hand, which is a rare commodity. Well almost all the ingredients, I was short 1/2 cup of applesauce and I didn't have freshly ground cumin. I made do with what I had and it still tasted good. I could of probably baked it a little less then the hour that I had it in for. Next time.

Applesauce Nut Bread

6 tbsp butter, room temperature ( I used margarine)
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans or walnuts
coarse sugar, for topping

No need to preheat the oven, just lightly grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch baking pan.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar.

Beat in eggs one at a time, followed by the applesauce.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and spices.

By hand, or with a mixer on low speed, beat flour mixture into applesauce mixture.

Stir in toasted nuts and pour into prepared pan.

Top with coarse sugar, if desired.

Place pan in a cold oven and turn oven on to 350F.

Bake for 80-90 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the top of the loaf is browned.

Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 1 loaf.

Enjoy,

Erna

No comments:

Post a Comment