Pages

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Enchiladas

One of my all time favorite meals is enchiladas and the sides to go with them. Sometimes I'll serve them with rice other times with freshly cooked pinto beans. I always try to serve coleslaw as one of the sides. I know that doesn't sound very Mexican but I'm fine with that. I've tried so many different enchilada recipes and this is my favourite, for now. I like to fry one pound of extra lean ground beef in a cast iron pot with about 1/3 cup chopped onion. Once the meat is cooked I add 1 cup of water and some seasonings. I usually just use 1 tbsp of Mexican chicken soup bouillon that you can purchase at any Mexican import store. You could also use a little of the enchilada sauce or even some taco seasoning. Let the meat boil until the water has boiled out.

Fry about 25 corn tortillas in a small amount of oil, I use canola. Next you'll want to assemble your enchiladas. I use about 1 tbsp of meat per tortilla, roll it up and place in a baking dish ( a 10x13 works well). Next pour your enchilada sauce over the tortillas and top with mozzarella cheese, I use low fat to save on some calories (not much but some, lol)

Bake at 350F until cheese is melted, roughly 15-20 minutes.

Enchilada Sauce:

1 can condensed tomato soup

1 can chicken soup broth

1 1/2 soup cans filled with water

2 Tbsp Chili powder

1 heaping tbsp chicken soup bouillon

1 tsp cocoa (don't omit)

1 tsp oregano

1/2 tsp garlic powder

5 tbsp flour

5 tbsp water

Add all but the last two ingredients to a medium size pot, bring to a boil. Meanwhile in a small bowl, slowly add the water to the flour, being careful not to get lumps. Any lumps you have will make your sauce lumpy. Once sauce has come to a boil, slowly stir in the flour mixture, continue stirring until boiling again. I like to let this cool down for a few minutes which lets it thicken a little more before baking.

Thanks for stopping by!

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment