Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Search

I have spent many years trying to find the perfect homemade whole wheat bread recipe. I have friends that can make such tasty buns but whenever I tried the recipe, they were a complete flop. So for a while I gave up and started making white bread, which is something I could make no problem.

But then one day a good friend of mine told me to give her recipe a try and I haven't looked back since. They turn out super everytime I make them. The recipe that she gave me didn't include 7 grain cereal or coarse whole wheat flour but I love bread that has that "rustic" look so I add that. The kind that just begs for fresh jam or butter. Mmmm.

Whole Wheat Buns

3 1/2 cups warm water

3 tbsp traditional yeast (yes you read that right)

1/2 cup canola oil

2 tbsp sugar

1 tbsp salt

2 eggs

2 cups coarse whole wheat flour or 7 grain cereal

Let the yeast turn active in the warm water (takes about 5 minutes), add oil, sugar, salt, eggs and mix well. Stir in 2 cups of the coarse flour. Now start stirring in regular whole wheat flour 1 cup at a time. Keep adding whole wheat flour until dough starts to pull from the sides and is ready for kneading. After this I use white flour while I'm kneading it. I have never really kept track of how much flour I use all together. I just keep kneading in enough flour until I have a fairly firm dough, I'm guessing it takes roughly 8 cups flour all together.

Cover and let rise for 1 hour, punch down and let rise for another hour. Shape into buns, let rise for one hour and bake at 350 F until brown. Makes about 48 buns, depending on your size preference.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. I made these today. They are the lightest multigrain buns I've ever made and they're delicious. I used a total of 7 cups flour plus the 2 cups cereal.

    ReplyDelete