Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Sugar Cookie Icing

Christmas is so close and with that comes the season of baking all the various Christmas cookies. I have never been able to find the right sugar cookie recipe and today was no different. But what made today's cookie feel like a good find was the icing recipe. This icing gave the cookies a high gloss finish, and most icing recipes that do this require meringue powder or egg whites, both of which I either didn't have or didn't want to use lol. This was my first attempt ever at decorating cookies so I don't know if I should be embarrassed at how these look but I'm thinking practice will make perfect!

I got this recipe from All Recipes and it's called exactly as I wrote it in the title, it had over 1,000 reviews with a 4 1/2 star rating! I did mess up a little on the consistency but after some adjusting it was fine.


Sugar Cookie Icing


1 cup icing sugar
2 tsp milk
2 tsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp almond extract (I used vanilla)
Food colouring

In a small bowl stir together the sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in the corn syrup and vanilla, beat until smooth. If icing is too thick add more syrup. Separate into bowls and add your food colouring. Spread onto cookies and let the icing dry, this will probably take about 4-6 hours. I was able to pipe the snowflakes on after only about 30 minutes of drying time. The icing was dry yet but it had formed enough of a crusty layer so that the colours didn't bleed together.

Hope you enjoy!
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment