Pages

Friday, October 2, 2009

Refried Bean Pockets

These little pockets are so easy to make, at least if you happen to have the ingredients in your pantry. I make my own pinto beans almost on a weekly basis and so it's super easy for me to turn them into refried beans, and I almost always have corn flour on hand. The dough is made using corn flour which you can find it in any Mexican import store. I forgot to check the bag before I threw it out as to how much water to add to the dough so you will have to eye it until you get a nice pliable dough.
Tortilla dough:

2 cups corn flour (Maseca)
2 tbsp white flour
1 tsp salt
about 3/4-1 cup water

Mix together and keep adding water until you have a dough similar to play dough, maybe a little softer. You can size these to your personal preference but I like my pockets to be a smaller size. I make the dough into about 1 1/2" balls and flatten them with a tortilla press. If you don't own one of these handy little things, you could also just use a plate to flatten them between two sheets of plastic. (I simply cut the sides of a medium ziplock bag and press inbetween) After you've flattened a ball of the dough, add about a heaping tbsp of bean filling and gently press the sides together, being careful not to get the bean dip coming out the sides. Once you have them sealed you want to deep fry them until golden brown in colour.

You really could fill them with whatever filling you want, but my husband grew up with the bean dip variety and so that's what I make. I usually get about 20 pockets out of this recipe
Enjoy!
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment