Pages

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Pie Pockets

I'm always looking for neat snack ideas for my kids so that they're not eating so much of the processed stuff and these seemed like a great idea. The plan was to freeze them for the kids to take to school, well they never made it to the freezer, lol. They were devoured, and it's funny because they're basically just mini pies but those little things are hard to leave untouched!! These would also be really cute at a shower or anyplace you want small bite size desserts.
Pie Pockets
Crust: (or you could use your own recipe)
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups flour
1/2 - 2/3 cup cold water
Mix like you would for any pie crust. Roll thinner then would normally roll for a pie crust, the pockets have a very small amount of pie filling in them and you will find that you can easily get too much crust.
Use a cookie cutter to cut circles, drop about a tbsp of pie filling of your choice. (I used cherry) Top with another piece of dough and press seams together with your fingers. I didn't like how uneven the edges looked so once I was done pressing the seams together I used the cookie cutter again to get a nice round pocket (see pictures for a better idea). Brush with a beaten egg white, poke a small hole at the top and you're ready to bake until golden. I found that almost all of the pockets wanted to open while baking so I think next time I make them I'll punch out a slightly bigger hole (about the size of a pencil) at the top so that the steam has a better way of escaping.
Once cool drizzle with icing. You don't want your icing too thin or it will just run and look messy, I found that when I had it slightly stiffer then I thought it should be, it was perfect. A really easy way of drizzling is to simply take a small ziplock bag and cut a small corner off, fill it with the icing and it makes drizzling really easy.

Icing:
1 cup icing Sugar
1 tbsp water

Hope you enjoy!

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment