Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

Linzer Style Cookies

Here’s another recipe that I got from my Mother in Law, I’ve been meaning to make these for quite some time already and yesterday was the perfect day to do it! They’re not like regular Linzer cookies but have the same idea and so that’s what I call them.

These are actually very simple to make, especially if you happen to have a doughnut cutter the same size as your circle cookie cutter, saves you the work of cutting out the middle hole. I cook the filling while the cookies are baking so that it has cooled down by the time you’re ready to sandwich your cookies together.



Linzer Cookies

2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1 cup oil
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp lemon juice
4 eggs
½ tsp salt
6 ½ cups flour (start with maybe 5 ½ and adjust as needed)

Beat together all the liquid ingredients, and stir in the dry. (simple isn’t it?!) I used the full 6 ½ cups of flour in this but you want the dough to have the same consistency as you would for sugar cookies. I let the dough rest for a bit which seems to make it a little easier to roll out.

After the dough has rested for about 15 minutes, divide dough into 2 pieces. Generously flour your workspace and roll dough out fairly thin. I didn’t roll mine quite thin enough, I prefer the cookies to be thinner when I’m making a sandwich cookie.

Using a circle and a doughnut cutter, cut out equal amounts of both and bake at 350F until golden brown. I bake these on parchment paper and dust off any flour on the bottom of the baked cookie if there is any.

Filling:

2 ¼ cups water
1 ½ cups sugar
1 ½ pkgs strawberry Kool-aid juice mix (those tiny little packets)1 small box strawberry Jello powder (I actually did 1 ½ because I didn’t read the directions well enough…)4-6 Tbsp cornstarch (I used about 4 ½ tbsp)
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a medium pot, stir in the water and bring to a boil. I would start off with 4 tbsp of cornstarch first and go from there. If you need to add more, mix the remaining cornstarch in a cup with a little water and slowly adding to the boiling filling. You want the filling to be just thick enough that it holds its shape when it cool and settles, it will look on the runny side when you take it off the oven but it thickens as it cools. I made the mistake of thickening it too much my first time making these and the filling loses its flavour and was quite rubbery!

Once the filling is cool but not completely settled start sandwiching your cookies together. I lay the solid cookies with the bottoms facing up and then spoon my filling on with a tablespoon. Gently press the doughnut cookie on top just until the filling reaches the sides.

Hope you enjoy!
Tina



*Note: We like a good layer of filling so I make 1 ½ times the recipe for the filling. I have a little bit leftover but that way I don’t have to skimp while I’m assembling the cookies.
The original filling recipe was:
1 ½ cups water
1 cup sugar
1 pkg Koolaid
½ box jello
3 tbsp cornstarch

No comments:

Post a Comment