Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Cinnamon Rolls

I have a love/hate relationship with cinnamon rolls. I love the taste, but hate how quickly they lose their soft ooey gooeyness. If I leave them out overnight often they are already on the stale side. So I  was quite delighted when I tried this recipe and they stayed super soft and delicious even when left on the counter overnight!

This is a fairly large recipe but I like to bake them in smaller pans and freeze them, that way I can take out just small amounts for the family.


Cinnamon Rolls

2 cups warm milk
1 cup warm water 3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)
2 Tbsp yeast  (I use traditional)

2 tsp salt
2 eggs
5-6 cups flour

Filling:

2 cups brown sugar
2 Tbsp cinnamon
butter, melted

Let the yeast ferment in the warm water for 5 minutes in a large bowl, add the remaining ingredients and stir together well. Slowly stir in the flour, one cup at a time making sure to mix well between additions. You want the dough to be not sticky but not too firm either. My last batch I added too much flour, it was my first time using my kitchen aid to mix the dough so it was harder for me to get the dough just right. I'm one of those people that is used to kneading my dough by hand from start to finish so I never really had exact measurements for flour, but I'll have to start keeping track.

Let the dough rise for one hour. Divide dough into two batches and set one to the side. Roll out the dough into a rectangular piece on a floured counter top to about 1/4" thick. Brush with the melted butter, sprinkle 1 cup sugar on top followed by 1 tbsp cinnamon. Loosely roll up the dough. Cut 1" pieces and place in a greased pan, the best way I have found to do this is using about 2 feet of fishing line. Wrap it around the dough and pull to slice your rolls. Repeat this with the second batch of dough and the remaining sugar and cinnamon.

Cover and let rise for about 1 hour. Bake at 325F until just golden brown. I like to top mine with and icing sugar glaze, all you do is add milk and vanilla to icing sugar until it's just thin enough to squeeze out of a zip lock bag, make sure you snip off one of the corners. Drizzle over the rolls.

This recipe came with a frosting, but I've never made simply because just looking at the ingredients causes a 5 lb weight gain, but I'll add it for the brave to try!


Frosting:
4 cups heavy cream (yikes!)
4 cups brown sugar (another yikes!)
2 tsp cinnamon

Bring to a boil and let it boil for about 2 minutes. Pour over the cooled cinnamon rolls. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if you need to cool the frosting before you pour it, I would think just let it cool a little so it's not as hot but not cool either. One day I'll try this, one day.


Hope you enjoy!
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment