Pages

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Tacos

One of our favourite quick meals is tacos! Serve it with beans and you're all set with little effort. But I hate buying the pouches of taco seasoning, so why not make it yourself. I don't use the seasoning full strength like most people do, I like to use less and add 2 tsp of Mexican soup bouillon to give it a great flavour.


Taco Seasoning

1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dry oregano
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt (omit if using bouillon)

Mix this together and store in a jar. 3 tbsp of this mix equals one pkg of the commercial seasoning.

To prepare the beef I fry up 1 pound of extra lean ground beef and a 1/4 cup finely chopped onion until no pink remains, stirring the entire time so there are no clumps. Add about 1 1/2 cups water, 1 heaping tbsp of the taco seasoning mix, and 2 tsp Mexican bouillon. Let this simmer until the water has cooked out.

Fry 6 inch corn tortillas in hot oil (I use canola). I first fry them flat for a few seconds and then fold them in half a fry a few seconds longer on each side. This way you get the nice folded style taco.

You are now ready to assemble your tacos. We like to add equal parts beef and pinto beans, I find the beans make them a little more filling and gives you much needed protein. Top with your favourite ingredients, we add lettuce and tomato and my husband likes to add pickled jalapeno peppers.

Enjoy!
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment