Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

Coconut Cupcakes

I had misplaced this recipe a while ago and today I went on the search for it again. These cupcakes are really nice to take to a baby or bridal shower, I love the coconut in the cupcake, it gives it different taste from the typical vanilla or chocolate cupcakes. I used creamy frosting for these but you could also make a fluffy frosting and sprinkle more coconut on top, I didn't want to have a coconut overload so I kept it simple. But I did find the frosting a little too high in calories so I think next time I would search for a lighter option.

Coconut Cupcakes
3 egg whites
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarine
1 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup flaked coconut

Mix the egg whites, milk and vanilla, set aside. Beat together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Sift together the dry ingredients and and add alternately to the margarine with the milk mixture beginning and ending with the flour. Fold in the coconut. Fill medium cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake at 350F for about 15-20 minutes or until done.

Creamy Frosting:

1 cup milk
2 Tbsp flour

Whisk milk into flour in a small saucepan until smooth. Heat and stir until it boils and thickens. Cool thoroughly.

1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla in bowl until light and fluffy, add thickened milk. Beat until mixture resembles whipped cream.

Have a great day!
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment