Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Crispy Flautas

One of my favourite cuisines would have to be Mexican food! Probably because almost everything is fried and everything tastes better fried, right?! I've been wanting to try making flautas for quite some time already and yesterday seemed like a good day to do it.

Problem was, I couldn't find the recipe that I wanted, not that I knew what I wanted, lol. I knew I wanted one with the green chile sauce to cover them with because that's what I've had in Mexican restaurants. And the chicken filling was made differently too in every recipe. So I figured I might as well try them with my chicken enchilada sauce and filling and see how it tasted. And it was a huge hit in our home. I don't think my husband wants me to share just how many he ate.




Chicken Flautas with Green Chile Sauce

Chicken:
1 Rotisserie chicken, deboned and cut up
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chicken bouillon
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until the water has evaporated.

Sauce:
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 tbsp flour
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp chicken bouillon
1 can (7ounces) green chile enchilada sauce
1/2 cup sour cream

In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion turns translucent, about 3-4 minutes.

Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir well. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk. Add the remaining ingredients, except the sour cream. Cook over medium heat until the mixture is bubbling and has thickened, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the sour cream.

To assemble the flautas you will need about 20 corn tortillas. Fry them in about an inch of hot oil, briefly just to soften the tortilla. I lay them all down on my counter and add about a tbsp of the chicken filling. Roll them up and secure the end with a toothpick.

Once all the flautas are rolled up it's time to fry them! I place 4 at a time in the same oil you first used. Fry them until they are golden and crispy (but not 'break your tooth' hard) and at that point I remove the toothpick, flip them over and fry again until they are crispy.

Once you've plated the flautas I spoon some of the sauce over top and I like to serve these with refried beans and Mexican rice (recipe will get posted soon).

Hope you enjoy!
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment