Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Korean Style Chicken Wings

I saw this recipe for wings some time ago in blog land and finally got around to making them. They are some of the best wings I have ever made! The coating is so perfectly crunchy and the sauce is scrumptious! I was a little worried that they would be really spicy but they had just the right amount of zing to them. Yum! My husband couldn't stop eating them! If I served these to guests I would serve them with homemade ranch dressing and fresh vegetables.

Don't let the prep work scare you away, it really is very simple once you get started. And if I were serving this to guests I would season and coat the wings in the cornstarch and let them rest in the fridge until it was time to fry them. I would also make the sauce ahead of time.


Korean Style Wings
Wash and pat dry about 3 dozen wings. Season them with:
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
salt n pepper to taste

Now lightly coat each wing in dry cornstarch and tap off the excess, let these sit on a wire rack. You'll need about 1/2 cup of dry cornstarch. In a separate bowl combine 1 cup of cornstarch with 1 cup of water, whisk this together.

Heat your oil to 350F (or just guess like I did, lol) You should have about 1 1/2" of oil in your pan. When your oil is hot enough, dip each wing in the wet cornstarch and drop in the hot oil. Fry for about 10-12 minutes until cooked.


Once fully cooked, transfer all the chicken to a large bowl, drizzle with the sauce and gently toss until evenly coated.

Sweet Soy-Garlic Sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
3 garlic cloves, minced (I just used the powdered)
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sriracha sauce

Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, boil until thickened (about 5 minutes). The recipe that I used said to let the sauce cool, but I found it got a little thick and sticky which made it harder to evenly give the wings a light coating, so I warmed it up again and it worked very nicely!

*Notes: I used regular soy sauce and next time I think I'll use the light instead, the wings in the original recipe had a little bit of a lighter (in colour) look to them.

If you're in Canada you'll find the Sriracha hot sauce in Superstore by the asian aisle. I'm sure you can find it at hundreds of different locations, it's just nice to find it somewhere you're at every week anyway. If you're not sure what it looks like, just google it and you'll see an image of it. It definitely doesn't smell like your typical hot sauce so I would not substitute.

The recipe said to mix 1 cup cornstatch and 1 cup water, I found that I had a lot leftover, maybe try 1/2 cup of each instead.

Enjoy!
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment