Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Breakfast casserole

I hate serving the kids cereal for breakfast everyday, even the "healthy" stuff, isn't healthy. So even though hashbrowns might not be much better, this casserole is perfect for us in the morning. I prepare everything the night before, and my husband puts in the oven when he gets up for work and it's done once the rest of us have to get ready for school. Very easy!

The original recipe asks for bacon and normally I would make it with bacon but I had some honey ham that needed to be used so I went with that. This is also a great meal to take along when you go camping! Prepare it at home and bake it either on the bbq or in your stove, but you'll probably want to use the disposable baking pans.


Breakfast Casserole
1 bag frozen hash browns (1kg)
1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup chopped ham or 1 pk cooked bacon, crumbled
salt & pepper to taste
7-8 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheese of your choice

Mix the first 5 ingredients together in a 9x13 cake pan. Whisk together the milk and eggs, pour evenly over the hash browns. At this point you cook bake it but I find it bakes better if you let this soak together for a while. I prepare this the night before and let it soak overnight in the fridge and then bake in the morning. Bake uncovered at 350F for about 45-60 minutes.

*Note: I have made this a few times and have had to adjust the amount of milk, sometimes the centre wants to stay a little too juicy. The original recipe would use 2 cups milk and 10 eggs, but the above seams to work well for me.

Have a great day!
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment