Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

Chunky Potato Soup

My daughter is in the morning Kindergarten class so it's so easy so spoil ourselves and have some mommy & daughter bonding time over lunch in the restaurant of our choice. But I'm trying to limit how often we do that, especially when she starts to expect it everyday!

So today I was scrambling to come up with something when I had a hankering for a potato soup. A quick search at All Recipes and this is what I came up with. It was really good too! I'll definitely be making this one again, especially since the ingredients are so simple.

Chunky Potato Soup

4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 carrot, sliced
1 celery stick chopped
1 1/2 - 2 cups chicken broth
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp dried parsley
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup shredded Swiss Cheese ( I didn't have any so I used marble)

In a medium sized pot add the potatoes, onion, carrots, and broth. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Lightly mash when cooked.
Meanwhile in a small saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the flour. Slowly stir in the milk and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Now stir this into the potato mixture. Add seasonings, cook and stir until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted.

*Note: As with any cream soup, it gets a little thicker as it cools. Personally I will add more liquid next time, I don't like my cream soups too thick.

Enjoy!
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment