Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Homemade Hamburger Buns

Once you've made your own hamburger buns you will never want to go back to the mushy bought ones. I rarely make hamburgers now if I don't have these one hand. This recipe actually called them torta buns (some of you will know what tortas are) but I figured they would probably be just as good for hamburgers, and I was right.

Hamburger Buns

2 tbsp traditional yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil (I use canola)
1/2 cup sugar
7 cups flour
Corn Flour for the tops

Let yeast rise in the warm for a few minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients and knead in the flour. Let rise for 3/4 hour, punch down and let rise for another 45 minutes. Shape them into buns and flatten with the palm of your hand. Brush the tops with a beaten egg and sprinkle the corn flour on top. I then spread the flour with my hand so that there is even coverage on the bun, you only want a thin layer of the corn flour. Let rise for 1 hour and bake at 350 F until golden.

Recipe makes about 2 dozen hamburger buns but this will vary of course to your size preference. If I remember correctly each bun has about 150 calories each.

Tina



1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you made your own hamurger buns! Now that is COOL!

    You left me a comment regarding joining the Martha Stewart Cupcakes Club.

    Please send me an email at betty@eatmycupcake.com with your name and blog's URL and I will take care of the rest.

    Thanks for your interest!

    ReplyDelete